Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wheat chaff vs Oaten chaff to prevent founder?

Hello,

I am in Australia and I have a founder prone pony. Something I have just read has alarmed me somewhat. It was advice that wheat was really bad. I am restricting lush pasture time and feeding wheaten chaff? Should I be feeding oaten chaff? Is oaten chaff less likely better than wheaten chaff?

Thank you in anticipation of a quick response…..

Gregry

Re: Wheat chaff vs Oaten chaff to prevent founder?

G’day Gregry!

Chaff, in general, is a good way to slow down the digestive process and the movement of feed throughout the gastrointestinal tract. This is beneficial in preventing founder. It is not terribly nutritious, so it is important to offer grass and legume hays, as well. Beet pulp is also a good fibrous source that can be added to a hay diet for additional energy.

Wheat chaff and oaten chaff are similar in nutritional content however wheat chaff has slightly more phosphorus and is not as easily digested as oaten chaff. In terms of preventing founder, however, there is little difference. The most important thing, however, is that the chaff should not contain any grain. If you are feeding any grain, that should be eliminated from the diet.

Wheat chaff can harbor a fungus known as fusarium. We do not know the effect it may have on horses, but some people choose to avoid it due to the possibility of a problem. So, this may be a reason why you were told to not feed it.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers!

Dr. Getty