Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: proper diet for horses

Oops! its lregenberg again - I realized I said gallon in the above question, I mean't quart as far as the grain goes. Sorry!

Where are you from? Midwest US and Cold!

How did you locate this forum? search words diet, nutritian

Hello Iregenberg,

The fact that some of the horses are doing better than others is a clear indication that there are individual needs that need to be addressed. Your friend has horses in varying life stages and their nutritional needs vary.

So, I understand your concern about your pony. It is probably good that she’s lost a bit of weight (since a scale value of 8 is too high) but, the way she has lost the weight does not appear to be the most healthful.

So, here are a few guidelines that you may find helpful:

1. Provide a mineralized salt block or at least an iodized salt block. The fact that the horses are eating sawdust indicates a mineral imbalance. It could also mean that they are hungry, hence,

2. They should be provided with good quality hay all day long, if the pasture is inadequate. Horses’ digestive systems are designed to have forage available throughout the day. Otherwise, they are prone to developing ulcers.

3. Have the hay analyzed for its protein, calcium, and phosphorus content, at a minimum.

4. Their rubbing tails could be a variety of problems, anything from insect bites to unsanitary conditions. Good hygiene is very important for mares – they develop smegma between their teats just like geldings and stallions do in their sheaths and this needs to be cleansed periodically. If the mares are rubbing their tails, it may be due to a very intense itching that they are suffering from on their udders.

5. I do not recommend corn, ever. Especially whole corn. It is not digested adequately and ends up in the hind gut, where the risk of laminitis is very high. Feed oats instead, if you must feed grain. But, if these horses are not being exercised, I prefer feeding a high quality forage mixture of grass hay, legume hay, and stabilized rice bran.

These are some general guidelines. I hope they are helpful. You asked about a cost to get some more detailed information. An economical way to go would be for us to arrange a live phone visit. That way, I can give you more specific information for your pony based on her particular needs and your health concerns for her. Just let me know how I can assist you.

Thank you so much for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for your help. I would like to arrange a phone visit, is there a way that I can arrange this without putting my number on the net? Can I call a number of yours and leave a message so that you may return my call?

Where are you from? Midwest US and Cold!

How did you locate this forum? search words diet, nutritian