Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FEEDING XTN

Hello Sue,

Yes, this is fine – a mixture of alfalfa and grass hays is an excellent combination. The cubes are very hard and may be a problem for the older horse’s teeth. There are two ways you can go with this – soak the cubes in water for an hour before feeding or, feed alfalfa hay (make certain it is of horse grade, free of blister beetles) instead of cubes.

One thing I would recommend is to offer a small amount of a top dressing, such as Omegatin or a stabilized rice bran product such as Natural Glo Nuggets. You would only want to add a small amount – say ¼ to ½ pound at each meal. This will stabilize the pH of the hind gut so your horses will be less likely to develop intestinal stones (due to the alkaline environment of feeding alfalfa). In addition, these products will add essential fatty acids to their diet that will assist with their joints, immune system, skin, and hair coat.

Thank you for writing. I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty