Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
laminitis

Dr. Grtty,
Our horse Boogie has acute laminitis. He was diagnosed 1/10. He is overweight. We have removed all food except bermuda grass hay. He is getting bute, asa, ng-naeo X 2,glue on shoes. X-rays suggested 27mm swelling and little to no rotation. Initally he responded well but has had a relapse the last two days and is severly sore. What is your opinion and is there any thing else we should be doing or not doing. Help!
Janelle from Scottsdale

Where are you from? Scotsdale, Arizona

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: laminitis

Hello Janelle,

In light of the urgency of this situation, I will attempt to contact you by phone so I can get more information.

My goal during an acute situation of laminitis is to improve circulation and reduce imflammation. I also want to provide high quality nutrients to support new tissue growth. Most veterinarians will suggest that you remove all feed except grass hay. I agree that it is essential to remove all starch based feeds (grains), but I differ regarding other feed sources. I have a great deal of experience, including with my own mare, regarding feeding during acute stages and even managed to sway my own veterinarian over to my way of thinking. So, I am hoping to be able to help you, as well.

Hope to talk to you soon,

Dr. Getty