Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
founder

Dr. Getty:
I have a ten year old mare who has had shoes on for the past three years we have owned her. My brother is a farrier and told me to remove them for 3 months. We did this and our barn manager called and said she was at risk to founder. The vet agreed and said she might get better if we re-shoed. The farrier said no - coat the foot with gum turp. and give bute twice a day until she shows response. Only walk her inside on soft material. With conflicting advice, I seek another opinion.

Where are you from? Fishers, IN

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: founder

Hi Nancee,

If your mare’s feet are healthy enough to go barefoot, it is the best thing for her, in my opinion. And, while she will be a little tender footed for a while, as she gets used to being barefooted, there is no risk, whatsoever, of her developing laminitis. This is a myth that your barn manager is relating to where it was once thought that hoof stress caused founder.

Founder (laminitis) is a metabolic disorder caused by the release of endotoxins in the bloodstream. These endotoxins are generally produced by consuming grain, lush, high-sugar pastures, high antibiotic usage, infections, and in some cases, extreme physical or emotional stress.

The physical stress that she is enduring right now is not severe and will not contribute to endotoxin production. If she shows some lameness, it is ok to give her bute – but I caution the use of bute since it can harm the intestinal tract. So, if once a day relieves her pain, that would be sufficient and only for 2 or three days. And, providing a soft area for her – such as soft bedding or a grassy pasture – is also helpful.

Gum turp will hold moisture into the hoof – and will not harm her. If she is stalled on sawdust or other drying material, using the gum turp is a good idea.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on how she is doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Just spoke to the barn manager and it seems Miss Phantom is doing much better. She is walking well and seems to be improving. We are going to proceed with barefoot and watch her closely for any new problems to develop. She is currently on a supplement from the vet to promote hoof health and we are monitoring her diet according to her exercise. Thank you for your response.

Where are you from? Fishers, IN

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Nancee,

Glad to here that she is doing better. It was a pleasure visiting with you.

Dr. Getty