Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How much does a horse cost each month?

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a horse from a friend im not sure what kind it is but it isn't even born yet and I was just wondering about what the cost would be a month.

Thank you,

Malia

Re: How much does a horse cost each month?

Hello Malia,

Owning and taking care of a horse will cause a significant dent in your wallet. You need to be prepared for a number of expenses before taking on this responsibility.

Assuming you have proper housing, fencing, and enough land, you will also need to consider the following:

* Hay -- to be available at all times
* Supplemental feeds
* Vitamin/mineral supplements or supplements for special needs
* Worming program (either daily or every 2 to 3 months)
* Hoof trimming by a qualified farrier (every 6 to 8 weeks)
* Vaccinations (every 6 months)
* Dental exams (every 6 to 12 months)
* Grooming equipment
* Tack – halter, bridles, bits, saddles, pads, etc., etc., etc.
* Veterinarian visits! Horses get themselves into all kinds of predicaments!
* Transportation – if you plan on transporting them places, you will need a horse trailer – a major investment.
* Another horse! Horses are herd animals and they need at least one more buddy to feel secure.
* Time! They need to be fed 2 to 3 times a day, consistently. They need to have a clean environment, which requires daily cleaning their stalls to remove manure and urine. They need consistent attention and grooming. They need exercise.

(Forum members -- did I forget anything?!)

The cost of these items can add up quickly. And, your costs will vary from month to month as you need to do various things (vaccinations, farrier, etc.).

Horses are wonderful animals. I would never be without them. But, they take a serious commitment of your time, energy, and funds. Horses can live for thirty years or more. So, you are wise to ask questions before taking on this responsibility.

All the best,

Dr. Getty