Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alfalfa

Hi Dr. Getty,

What are the anti-nutritional factors in alfalfa?

Nathan

Re: Alfalfa

Hello Nathan,

There really aren’t any, except that it is high in calcium and if you feed a supplement that is also high in calcium, you may be feeding too much of this mineral.

Alfalfa is high in protein and that’s a good thing. And, the protein content balances the protein profile in hays, to produce a high quality protein. The old research regarding high protein diets has been disputed over the years. We now know that protein does not cause laminitis, colic, or birth defects. Instead, the old mainstay of horse diets – oats – is causing a significant amount of problems for many horses since their digestive systems are not designed for large amounts of these carbohydrates.

The only caution I would offer is to make certain that your alfalfa hay is safe for horses. Check with your supplier and verify that the hay does not have blister beetles. These can be deadly for horses. But, if you have a reputable supplier, I highly recommend alfalfa. You can also feed alfalfa cubes and pellets, if alfalfa hay is not available in your area.

Thanks for bringing up this issue. It’s important to update the old myths with new research.

All the best,

Dr. Getty