Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Making the calcium/phosphorous ratio come out even

Hello. thank you for letting me post a question. I am looking for a chart that posts the desirable amount of calcium and phosphorous in a horse or pony's diet, and then the amount contained in various feeds. I found one of these once, and didn't print it out. While I know that there are OTHER areas of nutrition to consider as well, I wonder if you could point me to a chart (or in a paragraph or sentence form, as well, either would be fine, as long as it contains the above information. ANY OTHER informationwould be welcome, as well!!! Thank you very much.

Where are you from? Virginia

How did you locate this forum? on the web, searching for something I couldn't find

Re: Making the calcium/phosphorous ratio come out even

Hi Norah,

The most comprehensive source would be the “Nutrient Requirements for Horses, fifth revised edition” published by the National Research Council. Most basic feeds are listed along with their nutritional contents. You can likely find it on amazon.com.

There are plenty of sources on the internet but they are “a little bit here, and a little bit there.” In other words, it’s difficult to find everything in one place, that is why I recommend that you purchase the book.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Ms. Getty -- Thank you for your prompt reply. I cannot purchase the book. I was just trying to acquaint a perfect stranger with the concept that you supplement the forage, then you supplement what you have with your forage/grain combination. I don't even HAVE a horse at the moment. But I will keep your suggestion in mind for when I DO purchase more horses. Thank you, Norah Bland

Hi Norah,

I see. Well, here is website that has a table from the NRC book that will help you: http://www.lemen.com/feeding.html

The composition of feedstuffs table is about half way down into the page.

Hope this is helpful for your needs.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)