Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what should i feed my youngster

hi ive just bought a coloured cob gelding (hes rising two) he will be out at grass 24 hrs and i know that he will probably be a good doer, but im wandering if i should feed him up a bit before the spring grass comes or wait.... he`s not thin but seems a little hollow on his quarters (though this could be from his age and lack of muscle tone) he will have ad lib hay but im wandering wether i should give beet and some kind of cubes so that he gets all the right vitamins and minerals whilst he is growing?

Where are you from? lincolnshire

How did you locate this forum? general search on feeding

Re: what should i feed my youngster

Hello Ursula,

Yes, you are correct in wondering this because he does need more nutrients than just hay can provide. I would provide him with alfalfa cubes or hay to create a 50/50 mix of grass and alfalfa. I would also give him a flaxseed meal or a rice bran concentrate. He needs the extra calories, the omega 3 fatty acids, and the fat soluble vitamins for his growing tissues. Beet pulp is fine, as well, and you can add that to the flaxseed meal.

I don’t know what complete concentrates you have in your area, but if you’ll let me know what’s available, I can give you an idea which ones to choose.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

hello again, thanks for the advice( re; what should i feed my youngster, jan31)....spillers have recomended feeding their stud and youngstock mix, would you agree on this?

Where are you from? lincolnshire

How did you locate this forum? general search on feeding

Hello Ursula,

I took a look at the Spillers feeds and the Stud and Youngstock Mix is very high in starch, which concerns me, and the ingredients are not available on line. Consequently, I cannot recommend it without more information.

I do like the Baileys Grow N’ Win (http://www.baileyshorsefeeds.co.uk/prod_gronwin.htm) – it’s made from soybean meal and is well balanced. Also, I like Dengie’s feeds -- they are excellent.

If these feeds are not available in your area and you need more assistance, let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty