Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pregnant Mares

Hi, i was wondering what to supplement my pregnant mares with, my vet said the oats (I put a probiotic on) i have been feeding them make their blood sugar go up. They are Pmu mares out of Canada.

Where are you from? Ca

How did you locate this forum? On the internet

Re: Pregnant Mares

Hi Robbyn,

I would not recommend oats for your pregnant mares. First, oats will not supply your them with much nutritional value other than energy. And second, the type of energy is not as safe as other sources.

Depending on what you are already feeding, you’ll want to make certain that they are getting additional calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. This can be accomplished several ways, but an easy approach is to offer her a pregnancy supplement such as Mare Plus.

You also want to offer hay – preferably a grass/legume mix. And, as their pregnancies progress, they’ll need more feed, especially past the 8th month.

To best prepare you for the event (other than nutritionally), I highly suggest reading The Complete Foaling Manual by Theresa Jones. I offer it on my website.

So, you are correct in your concern about oats raising her blood sugar level. You can supply energy through other means such as rice bran, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, flaxseed, soybean meal, etc.

All the best,

Dr. Getty