Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: fat for weight gain

Thank you Dr. Getty,

I will look into the flax seed as well as added B vitamins. She is on Select 11 vitamins for grass hay that has B-12 (.3 mg) as well as thiamine (40 mg.) It is calcium phosphorus balanced for the type of hay. That is why I didn't want to add too much phosphorus to put the balance out. Select 11 also has microbials added. If you would like to see the content of these vitamins, their web site is www.selectthebest.com.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Where are you from? NM

Hi Lynn,

Select II is fine and it does have the microbials in it, so you’re right – you won’t need the probiotic. OK -- this changes the picture somewhat. I still would like to see you try a B vitamin supplement, since the Select II is not high enough to show a significant change in her appetite, weight gain, and temperament. There is a B vitamin supplement called B-Plex that is worthwhile. You can find it on line at http://www.horsetech.com/b-plex.htm

So, instead of the Ration Plus, go ahead and get this B vitamin complex instead. (And, of course, continue with your plan to add flaxseed meal).

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

How much of the flax meal should I feed? I had understood that too much was not good for horses but I don't know what is the suggested amount.

Thank you for your help.
Lynn

Where are you from? NM

Hi Lynn,

Without analyzing her entire diet, it’s difficult to give you an accurate amount to feed. However, a good place to start would be to offer ½ pound (about ¾ cup) at each meal.

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr Getty,

That is a place for me to start. Horsetech.com has a product that looks nice to me. It is Nutra-Flax. I may order that if I can't find a nice product locally.

Thank you again,
Lynn

Where are you from? NM

Hi Lynn,

Nutra Flax is a wonderful product. I recommend Omega Horseshine at omegafields.com. -- it is more economical.

Let me know how things progress.

Dr. Getty

Thanks again Dr. Getty,

I am all for economy !!

Lynn

Where are you from? NM