Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
epm

we have a 2 yr old with epm early stages being treated with marque in trainning as a race horse . my ques is what are the long term effects and can he live a race horse life?

Where are you from? shortsville ny

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: epm

Hello Brenda,

I am sorry to hear about your horse’s infection. Your best bet is to keep his immune system in the best condition that you can. This is because, even though his symptoms subside, he can relapse when placed under stress that is beyond what his immune response can handle.

I have heard of many EPM horses going back to work and living successful performance lives. Your vet will be the best one to assess the improvement of his health. However, do what you can to keep his immune system healthy. A few suggestions:

1. Feed him a high quality performance supplement such as Platinum Performance.

2. Add additional Vitamin E to his diet – he should have 3000 IU each day.

3. Provide him with extra B vitamins – a B complex is best – before any stressful event.

4. Avoid giving vaccinations all at one time. Vaccinations call upon the immune system to work overtime and consequently, it is temporarily suppressed while he builds immunity to whatever he is being vaccinated against. So, have your vet administer vaccinations with a few weeks in between.

5. An excellent homeopathic remedy is Colloidal Silver. It is expensive but is an excellent antimicrobial agent. Add it to his feed each day.

I wish you well. Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty