Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beet pulp with hay

Hello Dr. Getty,

My question is....I have a five year old Quarter Horse gelding and a 12 year old warmblood gelding...they are both in good health and are used for moderate trail riding. They do not hold their weight on grain so the previous owner had them on bland hay...one bale per horse per day. They have been doing well with that. I am moving them and wanted to start them on beet pulp too. How much beet pulp and hay should they get a day and do you think that they should receive a supplement?

Thank you.

Re: Beet pulp with hay

Hello Hayley,

While they are likely getting enough to eat, they are not getting the nutrients that they need. Adding beet pulp – 1 to 1.5 pounds each day, would be beneficial. I would also suggest that you mix the hays – at least with different grass types, if they are available in your area. Or, you can buy grass or alfalfa pellets to boost their nutritional profile.

A good multi vitamin/mineral supplement is important. There are several on the market. I like Select II (for low-alfalfa diets; Select I is for high alfalfa diets), or Pro VM by Peak Performance.

All the best,

Dr. Getty