Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
weight VS measure

I have read a fair bit about proper feeding and I have noticed that everything is described in weight rather than in measure (lbs instead of quarts). Although I realize that weight is more accurate the last two barns I have been at do not use weight. Could you give me a ROUGH idea of how many lbs a quart of average sweet feed is and how may pounds a "flake" of hay is.
Thanks

Where are you from? Central Virginia

How did you locate this forum? on Equisearch

Re: weight VS measure

Hi Andrea,

Yes, pounds are a much better way to measure, since volume is not at all accurate. Think about a quart of cotton balls compared to a quart of pebbles – they are both a quart, but the pebbles weigh a lot more!

But, to give you an idea – a quart scoop of sweet feed weighs approximately 2.5 to 2.75 pounds. A quart of oats weighs approximately 2.0 – 2.25 pounds.

Hay varies according to its moisture content and how condensed it is. In general, however, a flake of grass hay weighs approximately 3 pounds. A flake of alfalfa hay weighs approximately 5 pounds.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty