Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beet Pulp?

When adding pelleted beet pulp as a source of fiber for a yearling, what amount should you start with and how many #'s would you recommend working up to?

Where are you from? Mi

How did you locate this forum? web

Re: Beet Pulp?

Hello Karen,

It really depends on what else you are feeding. You can safely start with a cup (dry) (approximately ¼ pound) at each meal. You can feed it dry or moistened. Then, you can build up to a pound each day (1/2 pound at each meal).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I was told the big myth of feeding beet pulp dry it can cause colic ect .. What is your finding and feeling on this ?

Thanks
V

PS I currently have a foundered mare and my feed store only carries the Molasses beet pulp will this feed cause her harm and is there a way to get rid of the molasses before feeding her ?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Hello! Your Name?

It is not at all necessary to soak beet pulp. Many horses prefer it dry. So, it is safe to feed either way. It is best, however, to have water nearby since horses will generally enjoy a drink right after eating it dry.

However, I would not feed the sweetened version to your mare if the cause of her laminitis was due to excess starch or sugar intake. Beet pulp is available unsweetened.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I feed pelleted beet pulp that is made with molasses. Because my donkey doesn't need sugar (she may be insulin resistant), I first rinse the pellets well until the water runs clear. Then, I put the pellets in a bucket and add water to cover. The container I use is small enough to keep in the refridgerator. After about 6 hours or longer, the pellets form a mush, and then I rinse that until the water runs clear again. I use a fine wire mesh strainer. This is a good way to get rid of a lot of the sugar.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Kara,

Yes, that will certainly help. But, soaking the pellets takes away the "chew factor" that horses so enjoy. Chewing is also critical to their stomach health, because it produces more saliva, a natural acid neutralizer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dr. Getty