Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OLDER GELDING

HI,

I HAVE A 23 YO GELDING. A COUPLE YEARS AGO HE
REFUSED TO JUST WALK DOWN A HILL INSTEAD HE WANTED TO TROT DOWN HILL - WHEN ASKED TO WALK DOWN HE STARTED REFUSING HILLS ALL TOGETHER - THEN REFUSING TO DO FLAT WORK. HE HAS A HITCH IN STIFLE - I HAVE HIM
ON HYLAMOTION AND I ONLY TRIED HIM A COUPLE TIMES
BEFORE SNOW CAME AND HE DID O.K.. ON THE FLATS BUT
REFUSED DOWN-HILL. I STILL HAVE HIM ON IT AND AM
CORRECTING THE TRIM BECAUSE HE WAS ALSO TRIMMED OFF
BALANCE ON THAT BACK FOOT. DO YOU THINK FLAXSEED OIL
WOULD HELP? HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE HIM? I WILL TRY HIM AGAIN WHEN THE SNOW MELTS - DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? ALSO HIS SHEATH IS REALLY SCALEY. I CLEAN IT COMPLETELY AND JUST A COUPLE DAYS GO BY AND
IT STARTS TO FORM AGAIN - ANY SUGGESTIONS? WOULD
FLAXSEED OIL HELP? ANY INFO. WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS,
LINDA

Where are you from? VERMONT

How did you locate this forum? CHECKING GOOGLE FOR FLAXSEED OIL

Re: OLDER GELDING

Hi Linda,

Yes, I highly recommend Flaxseed oil. It will help both his joints and his skin, while boosting his immune system. You can give him the pure oil, or better yet, offer him flaxseed meal. You can feed a pound of meal each day. Or if you’d like to use the oil, you can offer ¼ twice each day.

Keep me posted on how he’s doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

HI DR. GERRITY,

THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY.
THE FLAX SEED OIL THAT I HAVE
CAME FROM THE HEALTH FOOD STORE.
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS
TO WHERE I CAN PURCHASE
THE FLAX SEED MEAL OR OIL AT A
LOWER RATE.
DO I HAVE TO PREPARE THE FLAX MEAL
IN ANY WAY?
DO I CONTINUE TO
GIVE THE AMOUNTS YOU SUGGESTED
INDEFINITELY? HE HAS VERY GOOD
WEIGHT ON HIM (ACTUALLY TOO MUCH)
THANKS - LINDA

Where are you from? HUBBARDTON, VEMRONT

Hi Linda,

Since you don’t want for him to gain weight, you’ll need to cut back a little on other items that feeds that you are offering.

I prefer giving him the flaxseed meal, rather than the oil. There is an excellent product that I highly recommend known as Omega Horseshine (www.omegafields.com). Or, you can make your own flaxseed meal by purchasing whole flaxseeds and grinding them in a coffee grinder (do not feed them whole). You’ll want to offer him ½ cup each day.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Getty