Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How much salt?

Hi Dr. Getty!

I live in Buffalo, New York where right now most of the time it is between 16 and 32 degrees. I have two quarter horses that are used just for trails and not very often in this weather. They live in a 3 sided barn so they are in and out as they please. We feed hay 3x a day and 1 quart of whole oats in the am and last feed at night.

I was hoping you could tell me how much salt a horse needs in their daily diet. I have not had a chance to get either a salt or mineral block. So I was wondering if I could put table salt (iodized or non-iodized?) in their grain and how much to give them (until I can get to the feed store).

I appreciate your help,

Joie

Re: How much salt?

Hi Joie,

Yes, you can add good, old-fashioned iodized salt that you buy in the supermarket. Since they do not have access to a salt lick, feed them 1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) each day. If you get a salt lick, you can reduce that by half. But, in the winter, when horses typically do not drink as much water, it’s a good idea to supplement salt in their diets.

All the best,

Dr. Getty