Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weight gain for older geldings

Dr Getty
I have a 17 year old gelding that I just can't seem to keep the weight on. I am feeding XTN made by Farr. He also has free grazing all day on grass. He is fed twice daily. Can you give me any recomendations on weight gaining supplements or something else to do or add to this. Thanks

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? looking for article on weight gain and pregnant mares

Re: Weight gain for older geldings

Hello Brandy,

To help your gelding gain weight, we can add more calories to his diet and there are several ways to do this. However, before making that recommendation, have you ruled out any medical problem such as worm infestation or ulcers? If you haven’t had him for very long, he may have a history of ulcers, and this is one of the most common contributors to weight gain problems. So, perhaps you could give me a little more history and we can go from there.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,

I have had all types of blood work and wormings done the only thing the vet is telling me is that his teeth aren't in the best of shape. But he should do fine and the weight is not a problem but he just looks thin to me. he has always had a problem with long winter coatsand hard to shed out in the summer I am beginning to think it is vitaman related.
If there are any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. thank you Brandy

Where are you from? Mims,Fl

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Brandy,

The long coat and problem shedding is a classic sign on Cushings Syndrome. Have you discussed this with your veterinarian? This is a disorder where too much cortisol is released into the blood stream and can lead to organ (mainly heart and kidney) damage. Is he “cresty?” meaning his crest is fatty? If so, he is also insulin resistant, a common occurance with Cushings horses.

So, if you are currently feeding him any grain (oats, corn, etc) or sweet feed, I would suggest that you stop right away since this contributes to the problem. Instead, offer him flaxseed oil or meal. Cushings horses tolerate fat very well and the omega 3 fatty acids will boost his overall health, as well as provide calories to help him gain weight (if you are sure that is what he needs to do, since Cushings horses generally have fat deposits throughout the body).

So, your first step would be to get a good diagnosis from your vet. Then, have his teeth floated to check for any sharp edges and/or gum disease.

Offer him lots of hay – grass and legumes (alfalfa), flaxseed oil and/or meal, and let me know what your vet says about whether or not he has Cushings.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty,
I happen to work for a small animal veterinarian and never thought about that possibility. Thank you for your input and I will let you know what comes of it Right off hand do you know what kind of things I would need to change if he comes back with cushings?

Where are you from? Mims,Fl

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Brandy,

Yes, I’ll be interested in hearing the results of his testing. In the meantime, discontinue feeding him XTN because it contains oats. You do not want to feed any grain. Instead, you can feed a low starch feed such as Nutrena Safe Choice, or Triple Crown Low Starch.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty