Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weanling & Yearling Nutritional Help

Hi, first let me say thanks for providing such a wonderful website for us nutritionally challenged people.

I have two questions on feeding my youngsters. First, I have a 21 month old, Missouri Foxtrotter. She was started on foal starter by Buckeye and then we moved her to the Growth Formula by Buckeye. I then weaned her to 10% sweet feed as she was getting what I thought looked like a big hay belly but she was only being fed hay in the AM & PM and on pasture during the day she was getting maybe 1 pound of 10% per day. Nothing rich just grass hay and grass pasture. She is now 21 months old and my vet suggested that I put her on 12% sweet feed with top dressing of Ultimate Finish as she looked under-developed. Her head being the right size but her body was small. This is what I am currently feeding her and she still has that belly. She is approximately 650 pounds and I am feeding 2 oz of Ultimate Finish twice a day and 1 3/4 lbs of the 12% twice a day. I contacted Buckeye this morning and they said to take her off the 12% and put her on 2 pounds of Gro-N-Win per day with 1 pound of Ultimate Finish per day adjusting the UF as needed for too heavy or too thin. My vet stated that come spring she should take a growth spirt and level out and slim down but I am not sure about this. Any suggestions?

The second part is our 10 month old. She looks good but is high energy during training sessions. Very calm if just petting her or out in the pasture with her. But training she is like a jumping bean. I am not sure if the feed is doing it or not. She is approximately 500 pounds and I am feeding her 1 oz of UF twice a day plus 1 1/4 lbs of 12%, grass hay in the AM & PM and pasture during the day.

They aren't getting a lot of pasture right now as we have snow on the ground. So their main source of roughage is their AM & PM hay.

Any help you can give or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? website

Re: Weanling & Yearling Nutritional Help

Hi Stephanie,

Sounds like you have your hands full!

Ok, let’s talk about your 21 month old filly. First of all, a “hay belly” is not fat. Horses do not put fat on their bellies when they gain weight. A “hay belly” is due to all that forage fermenting – it is not at all harmful. So, take a look at her back – is there a crease down her spine? If not, she is not overweight.

Grow 'N Win is a high protein feed that is predominantly made from soybean meal. This is fine. I’m pleased that you’ve taken her off the sweet feed. I don’t recommend it. Buckeye’s Ultimate Finish is mostly made from flaxseed meal, so it, too is a good supplement to assist her in gaining weight.

So, all in all, you are doing the right thing. You also need to provide her with high quality hay throughout the day, since pasture is non-existent right now in your area. I would supplement the grass hay with alfalfa – offer her 2 flakes of alfalfa each day along with grass hay.

Her small body may be due to genetics or it may be due to a decline in her growth during her earlier months. Plenty of exercise, clean temperature-controlled water, and a salt lick should be part of the mix.

About your second baby – take her off of the 12% sweet feed. The surge in insulin (from all that sugar) is likely contributing to her hot moods. I would suggest that you also feed her the Buckeye Grow ‘N Win – you’ll need to feed her more since her energy needs are higher. And, offer her the mixture of grass/alfalfa hay, as well.

The diet can be similar for both of them since they are young (though your younger filly needs more calories) and working. As your older gal fills out, let’s take another look at her and see what, if any, changes need to be made.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,

Thank you very much for your reply. My 21 month old does not have a crease down her back so it is hay belly more than anything.

I guess I am somewhat confused about this whole protein thing. If I was feeding 12% sweet feed which is 12% protein how will the 10 month old's "hot moods" settle if Gro-N-Win is 33% crude protein. Is the crude protein not the same or is just the 12% sweet feed contains the sugars from the molasses?

Also what should I feed for her to get the calories you suggested. Should I supplement beet pulp, oats, etc. or will she get enough calories from the Ultimate finish? How much should I feed her as well?

Thank you for your time.

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Stephanie,

Protein does not contribute to “hot moods.” That is an old myth based on unscientific research done many moons ago. And 2 pounds of Gro N Win will give her about 300 grams of protein – which is fine and quite safe along with the other items you are feeding.

The sweet feed contributes to her moods because of two things – the starchy grain and the added sugar, both of which cause a surge in insulin and sharp highs and lows in blood sugar.

If you need to add more calories, I prefer the beet pulp since it will not cause the sugar highs and lows like oats will.

In order to give you exact amounts, I would need to do some in depth analysis for you based on more information. Perhaps you would find a phone visit helpful. Let me know.

All the very best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty:

Thank you very much for all your knowledge. I will give it a couple months to see how things go, if things aren't improving I will certainly contact you via phone.

I just wanted to mention something that you said earlier about temperature controlled water. You are so very right about the water. People just don't realize how important water is in the winter for the horses and that it be temperature controlled. Seem they drink more in the winter than summer. We have heated water buckets in all our stalls plus heated stock tanks in the pastures.

I am so glad you touched on the subject. We as well have mineral blocks in the pastures and white salt blocks & more mineral blocks in the stalls. Again a million thanks to ya!

]Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Steph,

Sounds good! Yes, water is often overlooked during cold weather. Horses do not like to drink water that is below 50 degrees and often become dehydrated during the colder months because the water is too cold. I’m delighted that you are conscientious about this!

Keep in touch,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,

Just wanted to give you an update. We have taken them off the grass hay and put them on orchard grass & timothy hay. The 21-month old's "hay belly" is gone. She no longer looks like a rolly-polly". I think the grass hay was causing too many gasses in her belly.

I have kept them both steady on the GNW & UF along with supplementing alfalfa cubes to their feedings.

I haven't had the chance to do a training session yet with the 10-month old, weather not permitting. So I can't comment on the "hot moods" with her training sessions yet. She has though taken a growth spirt she is now officially out of her weanling halter and into a yearling halter.

Will update you later on the "training sessions".

Thanks for all your knowledge!

Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? website

Hi Steph,

The switch to orchard/timothy is a good move since it is more nutritious and provides more soluble carbohydrates. So, I am pleased that they are doing better. And your little one sounds great!

Yes, I’ll look forward to getting those updates!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty:

Another update. First let me say I have worked the 21-month old (Zoey) a minimum of 4 times a week since changing her diet. She was being worked prior but sparratic due to weather conditions. Noticed that one morning she came out of her stall and her back legs were sticking/locking. Concerned the vet came out, she told me over the phone that was most likely due to a growth spirt (which she just took a couple days prior, very noticeable one) and that I needed to strenghthen the muscles, but we wanted to rule out OCD (?) and stringhalt.

She came out and her conclusion over the phone was correct. We came up with an exercise regimen for her over ground layed poles and gravel piles to get her to work those muscles. She line drives excellent so this is the choice of the exercising instead of lungeing.

Her body condition has improved greatly and she has started to grow into everything. The vet was pleased by what she saw. She is still behind in her growth but playing catch up nicely.

Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? search on the internet

Hi Steph,

Thanks for the update. She sounds like such a wonderful gal. She may benefit from some extra fat in her diet to provide extra energy for her growing muscles during her exercise.

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun!

Dr. Getty