Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Forage Max

Have you any input on a feed I have just recently heard about called Forage Max. Apparently you put this out for the horses and they have the feed there at all times to free feed from. My question is how do you keep a horse from eating too much and colic. I have friends who are using this feed and say their horses are doing great and looking better than ever before. They say the horses will not over eat and that they maintain a good weight and muscle tone. My 2 horses are a mare 22 and a gelding 21 (which just recently recovered from an impaction which causes him to colic but recovered very well with treatment of fluids and mineral oil and carmalax) Should I even risk trying this feeding method.

Where are you from? Leonard, Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet looking for info on feed for equine

Re: Forage Max

Hi Cherry,

I can understand your concern about colic since your horses suffered from impaction (obstructive) colic not long ago. Obstructive colic occurs when a large mass of food accumulates in the bowel and prohibits passage through the intestines. This typically happens with horses that go for many hours without being fed and then, due to their hunger and eagerness to eat, they bolt down their food too quickly. Also, inadequate water intake can contribute to this type of colic.

Horses digestive systems are meant to be provided with roughage throughout the day. Without a constant supply of roughage, they not only are prone to colic, but also are likely to form ulcers. So, it is a good idea to provide hay or pasture all of the time. They cannot overeat on this type of roughage. (If they were to get into a bag of oats, however, they could colic for a different reason.)

Forage Max appears to be a nutritious feedstuff that is more nutritious than plain hay. I see no problem in using it.

Thanks for writing about this important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty