Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fattening a horse with poor appetite

Hi Dr. Getty may I ask a question about my horse, is there any vitamin or medicine for a horse that helps him gain his appettite. Pls. could you give me also some tips for fattening him.

Re: fattening a horse with poor appetite

Hello Alfred,

One of the best ways to increase a horse’s appetite is to add B vitamins to his diet. And, probiotics are important, as well, for utilizing nutrients so he can benefit from the calories he’s eating. So, I recommend feeding a B complex such as B Plex or Ration Plus. Ration Plus also contains beneficial bacteria (probiotic) so you can do both with one product – that’s why I often recommend it. Or, you can buy a different probiotic such as ProBios.

To “fatten” a horse, you should first determine if there are any underlying medical reasons for being underweight. If he is healthy, then you can add more calories with a high fat feed such as soybean meal or flaxseed meal. You can also add up to ½ cup of flaxseed oil each day to his diet.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Is that B complex helps him also to increase also his appettite in water?, because he is very slow in drinking

Hi Alfred,

Have you had him examined by your veterinarian for any possible medical problems that would lead to his weight loss and problems eating and drinking? I only mentioned B vitamins as being helpful for a horse that is in basically good health. But, without knowing any background information, I really cannot suggest anything further. For example, if he has an ulcer, it will inhibit his eating and drinking.

His reluctance to drink may be due to the water being too cold or not clean. Horses generally will not drink much water if its temperature is below 50 degrees Farenheit. And, if the water trough is unclean, they may avoid it, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you very much your advice will help my horse so much as well as me.

Hi Dr. Getty
How much B complex should I give to him ,is their any overdose in that vitamins?

Hi Alfred,

Overdosages of B vitamins are rare. Offer him two ounce serving. Were you able to find B-Plex? Here is the website: http://www.horsetech.com/b-plex.htm

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. getty
Thank you, observed that my horse is now showing a change he is recovering from poor appetite.B-complex is really effective.

Hello Alfred,

That is wonderful news! Thank you for letting me know.

Dr. Getty