Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Regular Feeding Schedule

Hello. I was wondering if I could get a definition of what a 'regular feeding schedule' for horses is. I feed my 16 year old mare between 9:00 and 11:30 a.m. and again at night between 6:00 and 8:30 p.m. depending on what time morning feeding is. She gets pasture time nearly every day as well. She is blind and must be stalled the rest of the time as she will walk off her weight and has a hard time finding the water bucket in the pasture.

Thank you.

Julie

Where are you from? NC

How did you locate this forum? Ask Jeeves

Re: Regular Feeding Schedule

Hi Julie,

Consistency is the key, and you are doing that. If you could feed within an hour, rather than within 2 ½ hours each day, that would be ideal since she probably starts waiting at the beginning of that time period. So, if you can narrow it down a bit, it would make her more content.

And, in between feeding times, if she is not grazing on pasture and in the stall, offer her hay to keep her digestive system healthy. Horses really need to be able to eat forage throughout the day to avoid digestive problems such as ulcers and colic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty