Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bran and pysllium

Hello I was wondering if you could tell me the proper way to add bran and pysllium to my 3 miniature horses diet. I been told to do the bran once a week but that seems kind of hard on their system. I am a little paranoid about this because I have also lost a full size horse to colic caused by dirt. Can you please help me I dont want to have that problem again.

Where are you from? ca

How did you locate this forum? no idea

Re: bran and pysllium

Hi Kristy,

Horses in sandy areas would benefit from feeding psyllium seed husks. Wheat bran is also beneficial. Both can be fed on a daily basis, in small amounts. I do not recommend feeding them (or any feed, for that matter) on an occasional basis, such as once each week. This can be a problem, and can lead to colic, because the bacterial flora that live inside your horse’s hind gut develop based on the type of feed they are accustomed to having present. So, if you change feeds too abruptly, it can cause digestive problems. And, feeding once each week can problematic for many horses.

So, your minis will likely benefit from ¼ cup of wheat bran and ¼ cup psyllium seed husks each day. Keep in mind, however, that these supplements are very high in phosphorus, and without adequate calcium you can create a calcium/phosphorus imbalance. So, you will want to make sure they get plenty of hay, preferably a mixture of grasses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty