Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Strangles

I am having a horse emergency! My daughters 9 month old miniature has come down with strangles. Two years ago in 2003 we had 6 horses come down with it, 3 died. The last one was necropsied so I'm 99 % positive it's that. The signs are the absesses on the sides of his neck have opened and have left a hole half as big as a golf ball on both sides. It literally is bubbling pus. I've never seen it happen on the side of the neck half way down. I know I need to drain it and flush it but I can't in that location. I have started him on a medicine called uniprim( I beleive that's the name). I says to use while treating strangles. I need to know if I can use pennicilin in conjunction with that med. Last time I was giving pennicilin twice a day until it was over. There is so much controversy on whether or not to medicate. There is no data on if it aids the recovery. I am so worried. Please just give me some advice! thanks veronica

Where are you from? Utah

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Strangles

Hi Veronica,

No, do not give penicillin with Uniprim.

Strangles is highly contagious and your other horses are likely to become infected, unless you can isolate him and disinfect everything that he has been exposed to. If you traveled recently with your mini, you need to inform anyone whose horses have come in contact with him.

I strongly recommend that you call your veterinarian. I would not tackle this problem on your own – as you know, it can be fatal. That is the best advice I can give you. And, once you have this problem fixed, please consider having your horses vaccinated against strangles.

Good luck – I hope all goes well.

Dr. Getty

I understand that you feel I should call a vet. I don't feel it will make a difference if I did.Our bout with this disease two years age cost us over $500.00 and the result with our last(which we had the necropsy done on) was I was told he was coliced and he gave him mineral oil thru a stomach tube and a shot for pain.Mind you I told him I felt it was strangles due to the fact that he was our third to come down with these exact symptoms.Less than 24 hours later he was dead. That is why I will not call. All the research on this subject has gotten me farther in keeping them alive then all 7 of the vets we saw. I do corresponde with the only vet who's advice we had benefited from. He gives me advice when I'm am stuck or not sure which direction to take is best. I do know from experience how contagious it is.I would like to know if you have heard of these outbreaks and what you have heard has been done. I really think I benefit the most from learning from other peoples experiences.
Also, I was just reading the article on nutrition and I have our two youngsters on omolene 300.Should I put them on beet pulp for extra calories?Or what would work? Our filly is small due to bottle feeding and her lack of a good start.I would like something to really increase her weight until summer. I appreciate all your good advice,thanks veronica

Where are you from? Utah

Hi Veronica,

I’ll answer your concern about strangles here and refer to your question about Omelene 300 in a different post.

First, I can only imagine how frustrated and terribly saddened you were when you lost so many horses to strangles without a proper diagnosis. I am very sorry you went through this and I understand your reluctance to contact your veterinarian. You mentioned that you did have a vet that you trust. Perhaps he/she would be a good resource during this time.

But, if you feel confident in treating it yourself, let me give you some nutritional advice regarding boosting his immune system and speeding healing. Keep in mind, as you already know, that anything you can do to disinfect the area and keep healthy horses away from your ill ones, would be the best remedy.

I don’t know if you are already feeding him a vitamin/mineral supplement. However, you will want to give him 3000 IU of vitamin E, 20 grams of Vitamin C, 500 mg of Vitamin B1, B2, and B12. You will also want to give him a probiotic to assist in maintaining a normal bacterial flora. This is especially critical when administering antibiotics, since they kill the “good bacteria” as well as the bad.

Once he starts to heal, I would recommend Ration Plus to keep his immune system in good form. You will still want to continue using a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement as well.

He will need a good quality protein, so make sure you are offering either a pelleted feed that contains lysine or a mixture of grass and legume hays.

Please keep me posted on how he is doing.

Dr. Getty

Is there any particular supplement with all of these vitamins you would recommend? Also he is a miniature 9 month old so would the dosages be the same? Thank you so much.I will for sure follow this good advice-thanks veronica

Where are you from? utah

Hi Veronica,

To keep things manageable and simple, I would suggest two main things:

1. One of the best overall supplements available is Platinum Performance. The recommended dosage for a maintenance mini is ¼ scoop each day. However, under the circumstances, you can give him a full scoop (divided between meals) until he recovers and then go back down to the 1/4 scoop dose.

Platinum Performance is available on line at www.platinumperformance.com

2. Ration Plus gives an overall boost to the immune system because it promotes the formation of bacterial flora in the hind gut. The best diet and supplements in the world will not provide the benefit you want if it does not get adequately digested.

I am very fond of this product – I have had a great deal of success with it, with my own horses and with my clients’. So, I have decided to offer on my website. You’re welcome to order it from my homepage. Or, you may find it more convenient to buy it at your local feed store. But, wherever you can find it, please get it – it will be very helpful.

And, one more thing. I would recommend giving your horse Colloidal Silver. This is an expensive product but it is a natural antimicrobial that often works when traditional medicine has failed. You might like to do some research on it -- I think you’ll be interested in its effectiveness in fighting infection. To purchase it, you can find it at most health food stores, or on line – I like the site: www.naturallyequine.com but it is in New Zealand. So, any Colloidal Silver product – even for humans, would be fine. Choose one that is at least 20 ppm.

I’ll look forward to hearing more about how he is doing. Please keep in touch.

All the best,

Dr. Getty