Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding Beet Pulp

Thank you for having this wonderful forum! I have been reading about beet pulp and would like to know exactly how to feed it. Our feed store has it in 40lb bags of shredded with no additives. Would this be good to use for my 3 yr. old filly who seems to have way to much energy on 10% protein grain mix I give her now? I also give a good alfalfa mix hay 3 times a day. I would also like to add additional Omega 3 to their diet and would like to know if the flaxseed found in the Health Food stores can be given to horses and does this have to be ground up? Also, how much do I give? Again, Thank you

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? searching equine nutrition on web

Re: Feeding Beet Pulp

Hi Darlene,

So glad you found the forum! OK, one at a time:

1. Beet pulp is a very safe energy source (unlike your grain mix) that improves overall digestion and I highly recommend it. Yes, your feed store has the correct type – shredded without any sweetening agent. You can either feed it dry, or as many people prefer, you can soak it into a mash.

2. Alfalfa is very nutritious. And, if you feed the beet pulp along with the alfalfa, you will round out her diet with the flaxseed meal. You can purchase whole flaxseeds at a health food store and grind them yourself (a coffee grinder works well). I recommend you store the meal in the refrigerator because it will go rancid quickly.

3. Flaxseed meal is high in fat so it does add a significant amount of calories. This is great if you want her to gain weight, but if she is already at a good weight, you will want to limit her intake to no more than 1 lb (1 ½ cups) each day, divided between meals.

Hope this helps! Thanks for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty