Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Growth

I just purchased a going to be 2yr old in April tobiano paint.
He is still a stallion, although he will be gelded in 2wks.
I had a vet do a prepurchase exam for soundness..He said he is sound but he is small for his age..My guess he's about 13.3hands. His sire is 15.2 and dam is 15hands.
The owner said she did not feed the horse grain just hay. I have since put him on 10% pellets will this make a difference? Help in Seaside

Where are you from? Seaside, NJ

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Growth

Hello Carmella,

Congratulations on your new “soon-to-be gelding!” He is still quite young and has lots of time yet to grow. His small size may be due to a deficient diet, or it may just be who he is. Hay varies in quality and he may have also had nutritious pasture. Also, his weaning age plays a role in his growth. Nevertheless, you are right to want to feed him as well as you can to assure his growth potential.

He will need a higher protein level that 10% and it is best to offer him a feed that is not grain-based such as Nutrena SafeChoice or Triple Crown Low Starch.

In addition, offer him a high quality grass/alfalfa mixture of hay. He should be able to graze throughout the day.

Also, adding a top dressing that is high in Omega 3 fatty acids such as Flaxseed Meal or Omegatin will benefit his overall health and the production of body tissue.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for your reply Dr. Getty,

I have since started him on Nurtrina 10% pellets and will increase slowly, he seem to have lost his hay belly. He will be gelded on Sat. so the vet will give me his weight then..I was told once I geld him he will start to grow more...Unlike if he was kept a stallion he would only develope more muscle...Is this true? Thanks Carmella

Hi Carmella,

How about going with Nutrena’s XTN? It will give him more body building nutrients than the 10% pellets.

If he were kept a stallion, he would produce more testosterone, which does increase muscle mass. But having him gelded will not necessarily make him start to grow more. And, owning a stallion has additional challenges and responsibilities – so if do not plan on keeping him for breeding purposes, gelding is the best thing for all involved.

Dr. Getty

Wow Dr. Getty,

Your not kidding! Just an update, my gelding is in a HUGE growth spirt... He looks like a triangle (ha,ha) his hips are so high...

Just wanted to thank you again we are now up to a 14% Nutrena pellets and will stay there.. His weight is great 860lbs and about 14.2 hands.. No more hay belly...Also had a great worming by the vet...So he is good to go...Thanks again

Carmella

Hi Carmella,

Great to hear! He sounds wonderful!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

By the way, this is the best website I have ever encountered..!

But I do have one more question..Worming..Which is the best daily worming or paste?

Seems to me daily can really get rid of all the good flora... Thanks

Carmella

Hi Carmella,

Thank you so much!!!

A daily wormer does not destroy bacterial flora since the chemical kills worms and worm larvae, not bacteria (which live in the hind gut).

I prefer a daily wormer, along with a paste wormer, twice each year, of ivermectin in the fall and ivermectin/praziquantel in the spring (for tapeworms).

Paste worming every two or three months, instead of using a daily wormer, leaves many months where the horse is vulnerable because paste wormers kill worms for a few days. Then, the horse gets reinfected. By the time you worm again in two months, the worm count is up again. But, with a daily wormer, most of the worms are continually destroyed. Pyrantel tartrate (daily wormer) does not get all of the trouble makers, however. So, it is still necessary to paste worm twice each year.

All the best,

Dr. Getty