Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help with calming

hello i have a 15.3 mare irish sports who i hunted regularly in ireland which im sure our problem lies there however what ever feed she is given she is wired to the moon.At the moment i am feeding allen and page herbal quiet mix calming powder mollichop chaff she bolts her food although i read molasses make her worse i know she will never be the ideal hack but i just want to find something to help her calm and less stress so it doesnt have to be a fight and a little more enjoyable for us both she is out at day and in at night please help thanks

Where are you from? derbyshire

Re: Help with calming

Hello Joanne,

To help her calm down, you will want to avoid feeding grain or any sweetened feed. These raise the blood sugar (glucose) level, leading to peaks and valleys in moods. Mollichop Chaff contains molasses, so I would not feed it. Instead, feed her an unsweetened chaff, to add bulk and help her from bolting down her food so fast. Also, offer her hay or pasture throughout the day so she does not go for hours without eating. Otherwise, she is likely to develop an ulcer.

You will find the B vitamins to be helpful. Find a B-Complex since all of the B vitamins work together. In addition to B vitamins, offer her a Probiotic. This will boost the health of her digestive tract thereby allowing her to get the nutrients from her feed.

You didn’t mention if you are feeding a vitamin/mineral supplement, but it is very important for her calcium and magnesium levels to be adequate. These two minerals affect the nervous system.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

thank you Dr Getty for your advice the herbal quite mix by allen and page i am feeding contains vitamins B1 B2 B6 B12 calcuim and magnesium and also has a pro biotic will i need to be feeding extra vitamins also thanks again for your help

How did you locate this forum? web

Hi Joanne,

Tell me the dosages of the B vitamins – to affect the nervous system, you will want to feed at least 100 mg of each B vitamin a day.

Dr. Getty

hi Dr Getty i looked at the nutritional value and it didnt state how much vit B in the mix all the vit it listed was 10,000IU/kg vit A 1500IU/kg vit D 80IU/kg vit E 1.0%calcium it did list the B vitamins in ingredients but looking on the nutritional value it said nothing about the B or magnesium will i get a B complex and add to the mix or use it instead of it shows not to just look at ingredients thanks joanne

Hi Joanne,

I would recommend that you purchase a B complex and add it to the mix. Let me know what you find and I’ll be able to tell you how much to feed.

Dr. Getty

hi Dr Getty after looking round my local feed supplies i was given pink powder by NAF contains vit B1 181.5mg vit B2 181.5mg vit B6 145.2mg vit B12 3.6mg along with more vitamins and minerals feeding instructions say 16g per day 2 measures but i'll go by what you say so now i've got unsweetened chaff allen and page herbal quiet mix global herbs super calm and NAF pink powder and she has all the hay she can eat at night and 8 acre grazing in day with loads of grass on it if you could tell me the right amounts to give her i would be very grateful.Can i just take this chance to tell you what a great site this is for people like myself who love their horses and want to do their best for them thank you so much joanne

Hi Joanne,

I took a look at the NAF pink powder – go ahead and feed her 2 measures at each meal (4 measures/day) to start. See how she does after 4 or 5 days and let me know.

Thank you for your kind words. It is such a delight working with horse lovers like myself.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

just to keep you updated changed the feed like you said she's been on it for 5 days hacked her out and it's like riding a different horse i didn't think it would make a difference in this short time but it seems to have done the trick we both enjoyed a safe ride without one argument fingers crossed it continues thanks so much from both of us joanne and beauty

Hi Joanne,

This is music to my ears! How wonderful!

Thank you for writing to share the good news!

Dr. Getty

hello again dr getty all the advice you gave me is working great both of us are really enjoying our hacking although the problem is now as i am feeding so many supplements they are getting left at the bottom of her feed bowl so i got some soya oil to mix them in with her feed which does work, am i doing right or will this work against her supplements and take me back to were i started thanks once again joanne

Hi Joanne,

Yes, this can be a problem when feeding supplements.

I don’t like using soya (soybean) oil because it increases the inflammatory response. So after exercise, she will likely experience more joint soreness.

Instead, you can moisten the supplements with water, apple cider vinegar (horses seem to like it), aloe vera juice, even a small amount of apple juice.

If you want to use an oil, go with rice bran oil or flaxseed (linseed) oil.

Let me know how it goes.

Dr. Getty

just want to say thanks again so much dr getty this site is a pot of gold for horse lovers like myself it gives you confidence that you are doing right by your horse thanks again joanne and beauty

hi dr getty just to keep you updated took beauty out on her own for first time this week she was foot perfect.Thanks so much for this without your help i'm sure she would still be wired to the moon joanne and beauty

Where are you from? england

How did you locate this forum? equine search engine

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for the kind words! And I am tickled to hear how well she is doing! Great news -- thank you for letting me know.

Dr. Getty