Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cushings & Thyroid problems

Hi Dr. Getty:

I was just reading the post below on the suggestions on the feeding of a Cushinoid Syndrom horse.

You helped me on my 21 month old & 10 month old thought I would ask another question if you don't mind.

We have an 18 year old that we acquired last year. Previous owner owned her since she was two. She had foundered back in 1990. She is a been there done that horse that was having plenty of exercise (ie. wagon trains, cattle drives, burning barrels, trail rides, giving children lessons, etc). She started gaining weight rapidly with all this exercise and her feed was backed off but she continued to gain weight. The vet apparently dismissed it and was telling the owner she was feeding her too much, which was not the case. She is 14.1 and foundered at 1200 lbs. Another vet was called in as the owner was disgusted with the previous not being concerned enough. She was tested and told she had a thyroid problem and to put her on Thyro-L. She is doing excellent and weight tapes between 840-850 lbs. We weight tape her regularly to ensure she is keeping a healthy weight.

Our vet asked if she was tested for the CS which she had been about 5 years ago and she did not test postive for it. She has to wear a grazing muzzle in the spring & summer or she will just eat and eat and eat. She gets timothy and orchard grass hay and does share a roundbale with the other mares in the field. Surprisingly enough she paces herself nicely with the roundbale. She gets a handful of grain with little bit of UF in it morning & night.

I was reading your post about SafeChoice and Alfalfa pellets. Even though she isn't a CS horse would this benefit her for her Thyroid problem. She is still an active horse with plenty of exercise. She is turned out each day and brought in at night. Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you again for this great website.

Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? search on the internet

Re: Cushings & Thyroid problems

Hi Steph,

It’s a pleasure to hear from you again. Your mare sounds lovely and I commend you for wanting to do what is best for her. It looks as though you are doing a fine job. If she should start to lose weight, you may want to have her thyroid checked again, to make certain that the level of medication she is receiving is correct. Other than that, there are few changes I would recommend. The only improvement I would suggest is to stop feeding the grain and offer her a low starch feed instead, such as the Safe Choice you asked about. Alfalfa pellets are also fine when fed with Safe Choice.

It really is not a surprise that she paces herself with the roundbale, as you mentioned. When a mare has enough to eat, she calms down and relaxes. This does several things. First, it prevents her from overeating, since she eats more slowly. Second, it reduces the amount of cortisol her body produces. When cortisol levels are elevated, the result is weight gain (due to fat storage). So, having hay available 24/7 actually allows her to better maintain her weight.

Is the muzzle really necessary? I ask because muzzles are uncomfortable and stressful. The goal with her hormonal situation is to keep her stress level at a minimum. If you are concerned about her foundering on pasture, take her off of the pasture during the afternoon when fructan (sugar) levels are at their highest.

Great visiting with you. I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty:

A million thanks again! I honestly don't know if the grazing muzzle is a necessity. The previous owner since she foundered and was diagnosed had just always used one. She gave it to me when we brought her home. Didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken and was keeping her weight controlled. She doesn't seem to mind it she puts her muzzle right in it with no fret or worry. I am just nervous about not using it because we work and taking her off pasture in the afternoon is not a possible situation for us.

I will try this though. I will take it off on the weekends when we are home and watch her closely to see how she does. If I see it isn't going to be a problem I will continue with it off. If I see she isn't giving up on eating the grass pasture then for her own safety I must continue using it. We do in the evening when we get home take it off til she is ready to come in (maybe a 2-2 1/2 hour span ) in the evening it is off. This is only in the spring and summer she wears it.

Again, thank you for such a wonderful site. I will pick up some SafeChoice this weekend and start weaning her onto it. She is the sweetest little horse and my neice just loves her dearly, want to ensure she gets the best nutrition possible to encourage good health through her "golden" years!

Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? website

Dr. Getty

One more thing, would you mind if I put a link on my website to your site. I feel a lot of people will benefit from your site. I didn't want to post my website address on your forum as some people don't like that but if you want to see my site first before I post the link, please email me and I will be more than happy to forward it to you.

Thanks, Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Steph,

What you describe makes good sense. Sounds like you have a plan. Let me know how it goes.

Dr. Getty

P.S. Sure, email me at DrGetty@gettyequinenutrition.biz with your website.

I’ll look forward to seeing it!

Hi Dr. Getty:

Me again!!! Spring is springing...yippee!!!

Just wanted to give you an update. I have had her on the Safe Choice 1/2 pound morning and night. At night she gets her hay and during the day she is on pasture all day. No grazing muzzle! But watching her closely.

She seems to be holding her weight just the same as before. She enjoys getting a little bit more feed than normal. Is this a good suggested amount to feed her or should I be giving her more? Also, is she getting all the right nutrition from the Safe Choice even though I am not feeding her the recommended dosage? Do I need to add a supplement?

Thanks and hope you are enjoying the Spring weather as much as we are! Very long winter this year!!!!

Steph

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Steph,

Hi nice to hear from you!

If she is maintaining her weight, you won’t want to increase the amount of Safe Choice you are feeding. But, instead, you ought to consider giving her a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to make sure she isn’t deficient in any one particular nutrient.

Keep up the great work! It’s so nice to hear your good news.

All the best,

Dr. Getty