Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
algea products

Hi Dr. Getty,

I found your side via internet and I am thrilled. I am interested in everything that has to do with pet diets and especially horse feeding, so your side is a gift for me.

At the moment I am trying to get informations about feeding algae products, especially laminaria digitata. The last one is supposed to be good against all kinds of inflamations like lameness and lung affections. Do you know anything about the use of algaes in horse nutrition and the recommended dosages, espacially of Laminaria digitata, Chlorella vulgaris and Ascophyllum nodosum? Is the last one usefull for iodine supplementation?

In advance, thank you for your answer, I am very much looking forward to it.

Jutta Etscheidt

Where are you from? Germany

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: algea products

Hello Jutta,

How nice to hear from you! Yours is my first correspondence from Germany!

I wish that I could be of more help, however, I am not an expert in specific types of algae. I can tell you that feeding blue-green algae (which may be one of the genus/species names you mentioned), does contain high quality protein and B vitamins. From this perspective, it is a nutritious food and some of my clients claim to have good results with it in boosting the immune function.

Perhaps there is a university nearby where you can consult with a biologist whose specialty is in this area.

Please feel free to post more questions in the future. I’d be delighted to assist.

All the best,

Dr. Getty