Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Constipation and Gas

A 12 year old, third level, Oldenburg dressage horse I work with is always constipated with gas. His manure is normal and not hard and dry. During a normal ride, it can take 20-40 minutes for him to poop four times with lots of gas in between. He is mostly difficult to ride and shuts down during this time...as if he has a stomach ache. His right side is very hard, you cannot use your right leg and he will not canter on the right lead. He is on oats, grass hay and some Strategy as a treat.

Can you recommend something for me to try with him? Thanks so much for the help.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Re: Constipation and Gas

Hi Marian,

The solution to your problem is very straight forward. The oats and Strategy are giving the bacteria in his hind gut a lot of material to ferment. One of the byproducts of this fermentation is gas – lots of it. (There is also the very real risk of laminitis in this situation.)

So, discontinue feeding any grain – no oats and no grain-based feeds. Instead, feed him a low starch complete feed such as Purina Ultium or Triple Crown Low Starch. And, you can also add Beet Pulp to his diet for extra fiber and energy that will not have a gas-producing effect.

He also needs a probiotic to boost the health of his bacterial flora that may have been damaged due to all of the acid production during fermentation. Choose Ration Plus or MicroBalance.

Please let me know how he’s doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, thank you! We have had this horse on a probiotic and we thought it was helping for a while. I will investigate taking him off grain and adding one of these other feeds. I will need to make feed bags for the barn guys to feed him so I wonder if the beet pulp needs to be soaked or can it be added dry?

Thanks again for your help.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Hi Marian,

You can feed beet pulp either dry or soaked. Just make sure they have plenty of water nearby.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty