Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 year old underweight Belgian gelding

Last June I moved with 3 of my horses to Baja CA, Mexico. Among my horses is a 3 year old Belgian gelding. I bought him just before I moved here. Due to an alfalfa-only forage that is prevalent in Mexico, Jake has suffered constant diarrhea. It took me a long time to find different forage for him as the Mexicans here are undereducated and most don't have internet. Jake has a narrow chest and has developed knock knees. I am very concerned about his rehab. I consulted a nutritionist here (these folks work for Purina Mexico) and I am told to give him a grain called Omelene as well as a product called Nucleus. Jake is 17.2hh and weighs about 558 kilos. The ranch manager is a farrier but we can't get shoes for Jake here, we would have to go to the U.S. to get them so we need to get it right! Please, what are your suggestions for my poor horse? He is now on oat hay and the diarrhea has stopped. I have just started him on a weight gain program but am very concerned about the knock knees. Thank you.

Where are you from? Mexico

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: 3 year old underweight Belgian gelding

Hello Triana,

Jake sounds like a treasure. I know how much you are concerned about him. And, I agree – he is underweight for his size and breed.

Alfalfa is a good hay, but I don’t recommend feeding it by itself. If you can add some to his oat hay, you’ll improve the quality of his protein intake and provide additional nutrients that will help him gain weight and provide support for his joints.

However, to treat knock knees, you best consult your veterinarian. At his age, I am not sure if there is any treatment available since knock knees are generally developed before a foal is born, or shortly thereafter. And, early treatment is the key. You may also want to talk to your farrier when you come back to the states about specialized trimming techniques to bring his knees into alignment.

Omelene is a grain-based feed and if Jake is working and requires additional energy, you can give him some (no more than 2 lbs per meal) but it will not put weight on him as fast as a high protein, high fat feed will. If you have access to Natural Glo stabilized rice bran, that will be a better choice. I also recommend giving him a weight builder supplement that is made of soybean meal and flaxseed meal.

And, finally, give him a vitamin/mineral supplement that is high in B vitamins to support his appetite and protect his bacterial flora.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know how he progresses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,

Thank you SO MUCH! I truly thought Jake's knock knees were my fault for not being able to find good food for him in time! My two other horses are in perfect health. Thank you very much for steering me in the right direction. Since I won't be returning (as in moving) back to the States anytime soon, I will be sure to hop over to Chula Vista or San Diego to look for the products you recommended, or I can order them online. Just knowing where to start helps so much! Jake's knock knees didn't become obvious until recently...the ranch manager is an excellent farrier and I have also sent an email to my farrier back home, asking if there are any corrective shoes that can help. If not, I'll just have to go easy on the sweet guy. I am so grateful that you are available! Thank you so very much for providing this service. We are also working to rescue neglected and abused horses in the future so I'm sure I'll be asking you about starving horse rehab as well. Just one more question, how much do you think Jake should weigh? I am thinking about 650 kilos but if you have a ballpark figure, please let me know. Many thanks again, Triana

Where are you from? Mexico

Hi Triana,

It is truly my pleasure! I am delighted that I’ve been able to help you and I look forward to hearing about your rescue horses. Any horse that is lucky enough to have a home with you is very lucky indeed.

You are on target with Jake’s ideal weight. He is a big fella – so 640 – 660 kg is best for him.

Stay in touch,
Dr. Getty
Horse]

Hi again, Dr. Getty!

Okay here we go...we switched Jake to oat grass hay but the problem with that is it's the mature kind with the grin intact, the stalks are the color of straw. Jake is doing a bit better but now my 1/2 three year old Percheron, Star, has been losing weight, which I didn't want! I am a bit frantic; since the ranch is a 20 minute drive and I can't spend the gas money to go feed them twice a day (the ranch people, who are terrific, take care of the feeding) I'm wondering about trying to feed them all an oat grass/alfalfa mixture. Back home in WA they were fed lovely orchard grass hay but finding the proper food for them here is a nightmare! Also they are getting snotty noses all the time, which never happened in WA. I hate to see antibiotics used a lot but that's what folks do here when their horses get "grippe" as they call it. I sure am looking forward to getting everyone stabilized! Thanks and Happy Easter to you!

Triana

Where are you from? Baja CA, Mexico

Hi Triana,

Gee, it’s a shame that you don’t have access to a better type of hay. Oat grass hay is very low in protein, and the type it contains is really of poor quality. So, the way I understand it, your horses are fed just hay and if you want to give them anything else, you have to drive to the barn twice each day to feed them, yes? That does make it difficult, indeed, to improve their diet.

Since you have the opportunity to give them alfalfa along with the grass hay, go ahead and do that. And, if you can avoid the antibiotics, it would be best because antibiotics, as you know, kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, and the bacterial flora that live in the hind gut are essential to your horses’ well-being. So, before you medicate them, it would be best to see what might be causing the problem. It may not even be bacterial (in which case, antibiotics would be useless).

So, let me know what flexibility, if any, you have and I’ll give you some suggestions on how to add more calories to their diets as well as ways to boost their immune function.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks again, Dr. Getty!

I sent you a separate email with translation provided for what Purina Mexico has to offer: One product is called Nucleus and it has a LOT of fat in it, the other is called Equina and it is a complete feed with about 14% protein and complete supplements for horses lacking suitable forage. I am posting this information here for any people who may find this forum and are thinking about moving their horses to Mexico! Please let me know if you think the Equina sounds good...I am going to get the Nucleus tomorrow!

Triana

Where are you from? Baja CA, Mexico

Hi again Dr. Getty!

I wanted to thank you SO MUCH for your advice...I managed to find an oat grass/alfalfa mix, upped his amount of hay and have been feeding him the high-fat Nucleus. He's put on about 25 kilos now, and I am so happy! Soon I'll be able to work him more and really get him into shape.

I am very grateful to you! And I can't wait to receive the Ration Plus I ordered from you, I should have it in my hands within a couple of days now!

Hi Triana!

This is great news! Thank you for the update. And, the Ration Plus will greatly improve his digestion so his loose stools will no longer be a problem.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty