Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
electrolytes in endurance horses

Hi
what would u recommend as the best time to administer electrolytes before an endurance ride in hot humid conditions? how much would u use and do u suggest using yoghurt as a buffer is a good idea. Have u ever known of adversive reactions to yoghurt?

Re: electrolytes in endurance horses

Hello Teressa,

I would suggest that you add electrolytes to your horse’s drinking water, so with each water break on the endurance ride, he/she is replacing the electrolytes lost via perspiration. If your horse drinks 5 gallons at a stop, let’s say, you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 ml) of electrolytes. And, plain salt is really best, for repeated dosages.

Yogurt is safe, but most horses do not like it. And, the lactose that it contains can cause some digestive distress – loose stools, mostly. There really is no need to buffer the salt intake, however. If you are wanting to add yogurt because of the live bacterial cultures, you can add a probiotic instead to get the same results.

All the best,

Dr. Getty