Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding Suggestions

Thank you for such a helpful website. I am just getting back into horses after 15 years and need some advice on what to feed. I live in Western Washington now and since the pastures are green all winter, I'm not sure what to supplement with or if I need to at all. I have a four year old mare and a yearling that will be gelded shortly.They are paints. The yearling has a big pot belly. They were both being fed about two sections of alfalfa twice a day at their previous home. Can you make any recommendations?
Thank you,

Where are you from? Western Washington

How did you locate this forum? dogpile search

Re: Feeding Suggestions

Hello Heather,

Congratulations on your new horses! I am very pleased for you.

You do want to add more to their diet that simply grass pasture, since grasses do not provide a high quality protein. To do this, you can continue to offer alfalfa.

The yearling’s pot belly can be due to worm infestation, or if you your horses on a good worming program, it is likely due to excessive fermentation. To reduce this gas formation, you should provide him with a prebiotic such as Ration Plus to boost the health of the bacterial flora, so that can adequately produce enough B vitamins.

I would also suggest that you offer them a good multivitamin/mineral supplement to balance out any deficiencies. There are many on the market. I like Select, Accel, Grand Complete, Vita-Key Antioxidant Concentrate, and Platinum Performance.

Have fun! Keep me posted about their progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty