Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clicking hock

I have a 11-year old Tennessee Walker gelding that I purchased two years ago. Shortly after I got him home he began having a loud clicking sound in his right hock. The previous owner said she knew nothing about it. He exhibits no lameness and the clicking sound usually disappears as I work him. I ride him for pleasure about four times a week. I've had two vets look at it and said there was nothing that could be done. They also told me that a joint supplement would probably not help. One of the vets said the best thing for him is to keep him moving and the joint would eventually fuse. Well, two years later and he still has the clicking. I recently moved him to a stable where he has 24-hour turnout with plenty of access to roam and graze. He is an easy keeper and is fed grass hay twice a day. When the grass comes up he will be strictly on pasture grass. I would like to add a supplement to ensure he is getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs. Is there a joint supplement that you feel could help him? Thank you.

Where are you from? Casper, Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Clicking hock

Hi Lori,

It sounds like you are on the right track. As long as his hock is not causing him any pain, your best bet is to keep the muscles surrounding the joint in good condition, so exercise is best.

I would recommend that you give him Equinyl CM (Vita-Flex) since it combines a several ingredients to protect joints, including vitamin C (which assists in the production of collagen). You’ll also want to feed a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that offers the protection of probiotics. Accel (Vita Flex) or Select II (Richdel) are good choices.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr. Getty. I will look into getting him started on the Equinyl CM. I did try Accel last summer but it made him very nervous and jumpy so I discontinued using it. Would you have any idea what ingredients in Accel would cause that? I'd be curious so I can avoid that ingredient.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hi Lori,

There really isn’t any ingredient in Accel that would cause a negative change in behavior. Perhaps he had more energy and was just not channeling it in the right direction. It is an excellent product, not only because its vitamin and minerals are in balance, but because of the amino acid profile and several probiotics.

However, every horse is unique. So, it may be worthwhile to try a different product. I highly recommend Platinum Performance.

All the best,

Dr. Getty