Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can you feed a horse soy beans

this is a very informative site, Thank you!

I have some soy beans that we wanted to use to make tofu. That process didn't work as well as we wanted, so we have two big bags of soy beans. Can I feed them to my horses? I have one 4 year old and one 5 months old.

I will appreciate any input you could give!

Terri Smith

Where are you from? Guffey, Colorado

How did you locate this forum? ask jeeves

Re: Can you feed a horse soy beans

Hi Terri,

Soybeans are fine as long as they are cooked. Raw soybeans contain a trypsin inhibitor which interferes with protein digestion. But, cooked soybeans are an excellent protein source.

As with any new feed, introduce it slowly. It takes a while for the bacterial flora living in the hind gut to adjust to the new feedstuffs.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty