Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glucosamine Sulfate vs. Glucosamine HCl and dosages

Dear Dr. Getty,
I was pleased to find your website, as you seem to offering some sound advice to people. My question is do you know of any reliable sources or what is your opinion as to the benefit of using one form of Glucosamine versus the other, as there are many forms of Glucosamine on the market. This question is posed to me often, and I would like an official response from a third party, rather than just my opinion. I have found articles that state that the Glucosamine Sulfate is the easiest to absorb than others, but none even mention the HCl form. I know that Equinol CM and Cosequine both use the HCl form, and I know you offer the Equinol, but I hope that you will please put that aside and answer honestly. Also, what do you feel is the recommended dosage of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, or MSM (found to increase uptake of the other products) for a 1000 lbs. horse. FYI, I am a Chiropractic Orthopedist for people primarily, and treat horses chiropractically at the referral of various Veterinarians in the area for various conditions and injuries. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.
Dr. Michelle'

Where are you from? Long Beach, CA

How did you locate this forum? other website

Re: Glucosamine Sulfate vs. Glucosamine HCl and dosages

Hello Dr. Steuber,

It seems that glucosamine sulfate is better absorbed than glucosamine HCl, but the difference is minimal. The reason the HCl version is used in most supplements is because it is more stable. Glucosamine Sulfate seems to easily degrade. Also, supplement manufacturers prefer the HCl version because it is less expensive to produce. But, frankly, either one is fine when it comes to treating joint problems.

I recommend 15 to 20 mg of Glucosamine Sulfate or HCl per kg of body weight. So, a 1000 lb horse weighs approximately 450kg, which would translate into a dosage between 6800 and 9000 mg/day. I have found that many horses do not respond well to glucosamine, but instead, do very well with MSM. The dosage of MSM is the same. Chondroitin is the least effective of the three. Therefore, I do not generally concern myself with it.

I am very interested in the oral administration of hyaluronic acid. It appears to be readily absorbed, though not as effective as when injected.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you for writing and for your kind words.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,
Thank you for your insight and opinions. I am not aware of the lack of stability of Sulfate form of glucosamine, only that it was the form that most studies utilized, but I did know the cost of the HCl form was less expensive. I'm not very familiar with the oral absorption of hyaluronic acid, but have also heard wonderful things about its benefits when injected, though I tend to avoid invasive procedures whenever possible. Your insight is appreciated in this respect and as you hear more, or if studies are done in this respect, please keep me informed. I am an advocate of preventative, natural, and non-invasive medicine, people and animal alike, including via nutrition and supplements/herbs. Thank you for informing the visitors of your website of valuable information to keep their animals healthy. I personally represent a line of Herbal Blends for horses that has been successful with various conditions, from PMS (painful mare syndrome) to allergies to joint problems (including Navicular changes). Many of the things you recommend are consistent with my belief at how to keep a horse healthy. Thanks again for being such a great source of information to all who visit your website, because....We all know, a healthy horse tends to be a happy one!
Dr. Michelle' Steuber

Where are you from? Long Beach, CA

How did you locate this forum? other website

Hi Dr. Steuber,

Prevention is far better than having to cure an ailment. And, I agree – all non-invasive routes should be thoroughly explored before other treatments.

Do you have a website for your herbs that I can let my readers know about? I’d be happy to place a link on my website.

It’s been a real pleasure visiting with you. I’ll keep you posted regarding the glucosamine issue and if you discover any new material about this, please let me know!

All the best,

Dr. Getty