Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
old mare

Hello, My problem is this, my 34yr old mare has rapidly lost weight in the last two months. My question is.. she eats 24/7 she has really great teeth. But I recently found out that the hay is two years old. Can it loose nutrition??? to the tune that she could possibly not get enough to maintain her weight? (The hay looks good, timothy grass mix)
I just two days ago gave her a dewormer hoping that she has worms cause if not i don't know what I should do? Iam sorry if it sounds like I am rambling on.
sincerly distrought
Marcie, and Nugget

Where are you from? British Columbia Canada

Re: old mare

Hi Marcie,

It is quite common for horses to lose weight as they get old. This is mainly due their reduced ability to digest their feed. As a result, less energy reaches their tissues, and weight loss results, particularly from muscle mass. There are several things to consider for your mare:

1. Older horses needs more protein than young ones. Senior feeds provide more protein in an extruded form, which is more available to an older horse. So, I recommend you feed a senior preparation.

2. Add a probiotic daily to her feed. I’ve had excellent results with Ration Plus.

3. Feed flaxseed meal for additional energy, and essential fatty acids.

4. Maintain a regular worming program.

5. Provide a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement daily.

You asked about your hay. As hay ages, it loses vitamins. It can also become mildewed. As long as it is not mildewed, you can feed it, but supplement the diet with the items listed below.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

DR.GETTY
YOU ARE THE BEST! THANK-YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
MY NEXT QUESTION- PLEASE EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT A PROBOTIC IS?
SECONDLY, I WANTED TO ADD THAT NUGGET HAS ALWAYS BEEN A VERY EASY KEEPER. THIS IS WHY THE WEIGHT LOSS IN THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS WAS SO ALARMING. I HAD COMUNICATION WITH YOU A WHILE BACK. I VOICED MY CONCERN ABOUT THE RUMBLING BELLY NOISE. IAM STILL WONDERING SHE REALY ACTS LIKE SHE IS STARVING. THE GRASS IS GREEN AND I DO TRY TO TAKE HER OUT ON A LEAD TO GRASE ONCE IN A WHILE. THIS ALSO ANOTHER TIME WHEN SHE ACT AS IF SHE IS HUNGRY. THUS IS WHY I WAS REALY HOPING THE WORMER WOULD HELP HER. ON THAT NOTE, I HAVE BEEN WATCHING HER STOOL, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY WORMS BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT SHE IS STARTING TO PICK UP, I THINK SHE IS LOOKING A LITLLE BETTER ALREADY. COULD ALSO BE WISHFUL THINKING. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR GREAT SERVICE!
MARCIE

Hi Marcie,

Thank you for your kind words.

There may be several things going on here and a simple forum message may not cover things adequately. So, if you wish to talk more in person, please let me know. In the meantime, here are a few of my thoughts:

You mentioned that you let her graze once in a while. Horses need to be able to graze 24 hours a day. In other words, they should not go hours without some roughage in their stomachs. This can lead to ulcers since horse’s produce stomach acid all of the time (unlike humans, who only produce acid when we eat). Her constant hunger can be an indication of an ulcer.

It can also be an indication of worm infestation. A worming program should be consistent. Either a daily wormer with paste worming 2 times a year, or paste worming rotation every 2 months. You won’t likely see worms in the stool. It’s also the larvae that can be a problem.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Again, Marcie,

I forgot to answer your question about a probiotic. Probiotics either add live bacteria to the hind gut to boost the population or offer assistance to existing bacteria to help them multiply (yeast, enzymes, B vitamins, etc. do this).

Microbalance or Ration Plus are two that I recommend.

Dr. Getty

THANKS AGAIN
YOU HAVE A GOOD HEART