Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gelding a 10 month old stallion

Dr. Getty, I have a 10 month old stallion and I have his Mother also. My question is if I have him gelded now will hurt his growth. I want to get as big as he should, but I now have to seperate him from his Mother, because she is in season and I don't want them to breed. I was told that I needed to wait until he was 18 months old. I can keep them seperated for the next 8 months if I need to. I have also been told that it will not hurt his growth. Please help........

Thank You, Annie

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? A friend

Re: Gelding a 10 month old stallion

Hello Annie,

All of the veterinarians that I have consulted with tell me that it is best to have a colt gelded early. Their growth is not stunted and they recover from the surgery more quickly and with less chance of complications. My colt was gelded at 9 months and is doing great!

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty