Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Severe Gastric Ulcer in my 3 year old Gelding.... HELP=(

My 3 year old warmbloodx was just dignosed with severe gastric ulcers 1 mths ago. He is on Ulcerguard once daily; we attempted to take him off of it and he coliced ago. He gets fed omelene 200 mixed with equine senior to attempt to get him to gain weight, he looks so aweful, plus free choice T&A. He is still very gassy and his manure and gas a a very strange odor. He is very irritable and lethargic... Please help me, I don't know what else to do with him and what type of prgram to put him on to get him back to my beautiful healthy boy?? He does get 4 hrs. of turnout as well...

Where are you from? Ft. Myers FL

How did you locate this forum? Search

Re: Severe Gastric Ulcer in my 3 year old Gelding.... HELP=(

Hello Sandra,

Ulcers are commonly caused by several factors including:
-- Stalling for hours
-- Not being allowed to graze 24/7
-- Stress
-- Intense exercise and running
-- High carbohydrate diets

My first recommendation would be to stop feeding the Omelene and change to a low starch, high fat diet, such a stabilized rice bran product. Add to that a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that contains probiotics such as Accel (by Vita-Flex) or Platinum Performance.

Plenty of fresh, clean water at all times, hay at all times, and a reduction of stall time, will all help.

It is unusual for such a young horse to have as severe a problem as you've described. So, I wrote to your email address, which I do not normally do, to see if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)