Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Aloe Vera Juice

Have you ever heard of giving a horse a 1/2C twice a day for ulcers? I have a very nervous horse and was told that most nervous horses could have ulcers even low grade ulcers.

Where are you from? MI

Re: Aloe Vera Juice

Hi Pat,

Ulcers are relatively common in horses who endure stress, either physical or emotional. And, this would include horses who are stalled for many hours and/or go without eating forage (hay) for hours.

If your horse has an ulcer, the early signs are generally behavioral, since he is in pain and doesn't like being handled.

Aloe Vera Juice may be helpful, though not a cure.
The best way to treat an ulcer is to remove the causes and then offer a high forage, low starch diet, along with a probiotic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty