Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
probiotics

Would you compare Pro-Lactic DFM (by Horsetech.com) and Ration Plus. I am using both and don't want to over supplement. (I am using Pro-Lactic DFM in Reitsport)

Joy

Where are you from? New Kent Va

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: probiotics

Hello Joy,

The Pro-Lactic DFM by Horsetech provides live Bacillus and Lactobacillus bacterial cultures.

Ration Plus does not contain live bacteria. Instead, it contains nutrients produced by bacterial fermentation that feed specific bacteria in the horse's digestive system to establish a healthy balance of populations in the digestive microflora.

I like using live bacteria during acute situations such as an attack of laminitis, or when a horse is on a dose of antibiotics.

However, for every-day use, to establish a healthy immune system and help a horse get nutrients from the diet more efficiently, I prefer Ration Plus because it provides a favorable environment for bacteria in which to grow. And, instead of only providing one or two species of bacteria, this product creates an environment for several species of beneficial bacteria.

Hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty