Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
lame after new shoes

My horse was completly sound before his new shoes, It has been one week now, he is very lame and sore in the right front. The farrier says he may have got a "hot nail" then told me there was not REALLY any blood, maybe a little at the top. YIKES!!!! So, we pulled the shoe to startr to soak it, he wouldnt even put his foot down. There is no heat so far, so we put a pad on and the shoe back, he is still really sore. He is also very sensitive to the hoof testers when they were applied to the sole area. What should I do next? He is on bute daily.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? by a link

Re: lame after new shoes

Hello Brooke,

He may have an infection from a puncture wound. The best advice I can give you is to contact your veterinarian for an evaluation. He may require a tetanus shot.

Be careful about giving bute for too many days – it can cause stomach bleeding.

So, if he were my horse, I would get my vet right away, and find a new farrier!

All the best,

Dr. Getty