Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina's Strategy

Hi Dr. Getty,
Thank you for such an informative, helpful website. I enjoy reading the posts every chance I get. I have two questions. I wanted to ask your opinion of Purina's Strategy? Also, I recently purchased a 7 year-old thoroughbred that needs to gain some weight, coat needs improvement and his feet are a little soft. For the last three months he was been turned out on pasture and given grass hay twice a day. He was the lowest horse on the pecking order and wasn't getting enough to eat. I just moved him to a better facility where he is fed alfalfa/grass hay three times a day and turned out daily in a large dry lot with a couple other horses. He is stalled at night in a large paddock with a boxstall. I plan to ride him 3-4 times a week for pleasure. My feedstore recommended the Strategy. I have gradually worked up to feeding him 2 lbs. of the Strategy each day. I need to have my supplements easy and convenient to give since I board him at a family owned stable where the owners aren't experienced horsepeople. What would you recommend? Thanks again.

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Purina's Strategy

Hi Lori,

Strategy is not one of my favorites because it is “old-school” – meaning it is grain-based. Horses’ digestive systems are not designed for large amount of soluble carbohydrates. And, the best way to put weight on a horse is to provide the most concentrated source of energy you can, and that’s from fat.

I would suggest that you go with a low starch feed and add a stabilized rice bran product for the additional fat. He also should have access to hay and/or pasture 24 hours a day to prevent an ulcer.

In addition to his feed, you'll want to consider a supplement to assist in weight gain, and improved haircoat and hooves. A daily probiotic such as Ration Plus will ensure that he gets the nutrients from his feed. This will not only improve his overall health, but will allow him to gain weight more easily.

Or, you can use a good overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that contains a probiotic. This would simplify things for you.
Accel by Vita-Flex is one that I recommend.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty