Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding shelled corn

Is shelled corn okay to feed your horse? If so, how much is best to feed them? Is shelled corn and alfalfa okay to feed together?

Where are you from? MO

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: feeding shelled corn

Hi Glen,

I do not recommend feeding corn, even shelled corn, to horses because a large percentage of it is not digested in the early part of the digestive system. Consequently, much of the grain reaches the hind gut, where it is fermented by the bacterial flora. This is one of the main causes of laminitis. So, if you must feed a grain, stick with oats – it is much safer. But, limit the amount you feed to no more than 2 lbs per day; use other energy sources instead.

Yes, you can feed alfalfa with a grain – there is no interaction, if that is your concern.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: feeding shelled corn

Thank you for the info.

Where are you from? MO

How did you locate this forum? web search