Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hooves, walls seem to peel off like individual sheets of paper

My horse I understand had suspension problems, he is supposed to be OK now. He was a cutting horse. There is no lameness but extremely poor hooves, The walls seem to be sheets of paper that are not adhering to each other. This makes it very hard to shoe and keep shoes on. It is extremely rocky here and we must keep our horses shoed. Desperate, do you believe this to a nutrition problem,if so what can I do to help him out.

Where are you from? Miami

How did you locate this forum? searched google

Re: Hooves, walls seem to peel off like individual sheets of paper

Hello Jorge,

Yes, hooves that are in poor condition generally indicate a health problem. Assuming that there are no medical problems, your best approach is to boost the nutritional content of his diet. To have healthy hooves, he needs to have high quality protein, the right mixture of minerals, essential fatty acids, and vitamins.

I understand your concern about keeping him shod in a rocky environment. However, if it is at all possible, you may want to see if you can let him go barefoot. After a while, his hoof walls will toughen up.

All the best,

Dr. Getty