Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alfalfa/grass hay ratio

Dr. Getty: Your wonderful forum has answered several questions I have been wrestling with regarding DOD. I have 2 mares who are fed the same ration. One has big fat foals that always seem to have some growth problems; the other mare's foals are fine. The vet seems to think that the first mare has too much calcium in her milk, and he thinks that's the cause of her foals' problems. He approved the mares' diet, which was previously Strategy, one-third alfalfa, and two-thirds coastal hay. There were no tests done on the milk. I have recently changed to Nutrena's Safe Choice. I feed a 13% coastal hay and alfalfa pellets and turn the mares and foals out on pasture most days. Could you help the determine the amount of alfalfa pellets I should feed? This year's baby is 2 months old and I think I'm seeing bumpy fetlocks already. Is there a chance this will correct itself since the concentrate is no longer grain based? Thanks, Pam

Where are you from? Weatherford TX

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS gave me TAEDAP website

Re: Alfalfa/grass hay ratio

Hi Pam,

The changes you’ve made are excellent. Strategy is very high in soluble carbohydrates, and it has been shown that foals born from mares who were fed such a diet are prone toward developing DOD (Developmental Orthopedic Disease). It does not have anything to do with the calcium level in the milk.

Once your new foal starts nibbling on feed, offer him alfalfa pellets and Safe Choice in a creep feeder. I would also recommend feeding both mom and baby alfalfa hay. There is no guarantee that his fetlocks with right themselves, but at least you won’t be further contributing to the problem.

Overweight foals are generally born from mares who have metabolic syndrome (very similar to gestational diabetes that some women experience during pregnancy). A diet high in protein, fiber, and adequate in fat is the best way to feed such a mare.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for your advice. I have one other question re the alfalfa pellets: If possible I need to continue to feed pellets rather than hay. Does 1 pound of pellets equal 1 pound of hay? If so, do I need to limit each pellet meal to 3 pounds? Availablity of 2-string bales (3- string bales are too heavy for me to handle), storage problems, etc, make pellets a more attractive option than alfalfa hay. Plus, in the past my horses have happily gobbled up the yummy alfalfa ,then slept in, pooped on, and generally made a mess out of the less tasty grass hay. Thanks again.

Where are you from? Weatherford TX

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS gave me TAEDAP website

Hi Pam,

Actually pellets are more concentrated than hay, since pellets are predominantly made from the leaves, not the stems. But there is no problem in feeding pellets. You may also enjoy feeding alfalfa cubes – moisten them because they are very dry. They are not quite as nutritious as pellets, though since the cubes have more stems in them.

Yes, I understand about feeding the hay. Because alfalfa hay is so delicious, they will ignore the grass hay. So, if you were to feed the hay, it’s best to give them a flake by itself, and not mixed with other hay.

So, your most reasonable choice, from what you describe, would be the pellets. You can safely give your mare up to 3 lbs per day (divided between meals).

Dr. Getty