Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tying up

I first want to say that I read your forum almost everyday and learn so much from your responses. Thank you.

I do have question regarding the symptoms and treatment of tying up. My horse as you may remember had EPM and currently has arthritis in his hocks. Recently I noticed that he is a little stiff after the workout and sometimes wants to quit early. His feed is a low carb sweet feed (I Know that is a contridiction in terms.) But I wanted to know if using Ration Plus would increase the utilizaton of the carbohydrates, thereby increasing the chances that my horse would ty up?...That's assuming he was suffering from this condition.

Where are you from? New Kent Va

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: tying up

Hi Joy,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, of course I remember Joe.

Using Ration Plus will not cause the increase in blood glucose levels. So, there is no risk involved in using this supplement – just the opposite.

What feed are you feeding (that’s low starch and high in sugar)? The high sugar can be a problem since this is not a long-lasting fuel for muscles. Basically, tying up (equine rhabdomylosis) can be due to many factors such as electrolyte imbalances, Vitamin E/Selenium deficiencies, calcium/magnesium imbalances, lactic acid buildup (due to anaerobic activity). A better way to supply energy for the muscles is to increase fat intake and reduce sugar. Horses that experience tying up typically benefit from a low carbohydrate/high fat diet.

If it’s not tying up, but just muscle and/or joint soreness, consider supplementing MSM along with glucosamine to ease inflammation and lubricate his joints.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I have switched from Blue Seal Vintage Vctory to Purina Ultium. I have also been reading about Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy and the symptoms are very similar to Joe's orignal EPM symptoms plus some of the things I am experincing now ( hind end weakness and wanting to quit working). I am going to try to add even more fat to the ultium and check the results. I also use the Ration Plus and alfafa cubes and grass hay. He was at 6 lb of grain and now I have reduced ultium to about 4 lbs. His weight is great.
Thanks
Joy

Where are you from? New Kent Va

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Hi Joy,

You may very well be on the right tract since Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) is sometimes confused with EPM. As you know (and for the benefit of my readers), EPSM is characterized by the body’s inability to utilize soluble carbohydrates (found in grains and sugars). Under normal circumstances, when these carbohydrates are digested, the resulting glucose is stored in the muscle as glycogen for later use when energy needs increase. However, with EPSM, there is instead, an accumulation of a glycogen-related polysaccharide in the muscle that does not provide needed glucose during exercise. Without proper dietary intervention, muscle tissue will break down. Therefore, a diet that is low in starch and high in fat and protein is the best way to treat and prevent this disorder. So, you are on the right track.

Please keep me informed as to his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty