Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HORSE ONLY BAGGING ON 1 SIDE & SHE WAS BREED AROUND MAY 15 ,2004

I WAS WONDERING WHY? MY MARE (17 YRS ) IS ONLY BAGGING ON 1 SIDE . WE'RE NOT REALLY SURE ABOUT DAY SHE'S DUE. SHE WAS BREED AROUND 15 TH OF MAY 2004. WE HAVE HER ON MARE & FOAL FEED NOW & SHE'S IN A STABLE OFF GRASS , BUT SHE WANTS TO BE OUTSIDE ON GRASS , BUT WE WE'RE INFORMED THAT A BREED MARE NEEDS TO BE OFF GRASS BEFORE THEY FOAL .DUE TO THEY AREN'T TO BE ON GRASS IF IT'S POSSIBLE GRASS IS FESCUE . BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE IT CAN CAUSE MARE NOT TO HAVE MILK FOR NEW COLT'S . IS THIS TRUE?
SHE IS VERY HEALTHY & HAS HAD COLT'S BEFORE.

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? CHECKING OUT WEB

Re: HORSE ONLY BAGGING ON 1 SIDE & SHE WAS BREED AROUND MAY 15 ,2004

Hello Sara,

Do you have endophyte-infested fescue in your pasture? If so, then yes, this would be a concern. However, if not, you should let her graze. Changing her environment and habits is stressful and you want to minimize her stress. So, check with a nursery in the area or your local feed store to see if you can determine if fescue is part of your grass mix.

If she was bred around the 15th of May, she is due now or very soon (normal gestation is around 340 days, or 11 months). The best resource I can offer you would be The Complete Foaling Manual by Theresa Jones. You can access it from my home page.

Keep me posted! And, happy foaling!

Dr. Getty