Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tying up and string halt

Hi doctor Getty! Wow what a great idea that people can write in to you. good work!
Just reading a few articles, can you tell me please, what is tying up? I have no idea!

Also, my horse has string halt i've been told by previous owner, (he's a 12yr, 16.2hh TB) which is something that affects his hind legs. I've seen him kick out sometimes at nothing. Ears not back, looks happy, even when theres no horses around. No limping or pain to touch his legs, or anywhere on him. his feet have also been checked by a good farrier. His hocks click a bit. Not while working, but i notice it when i'm leading him. is there something that I can feed him that will rid him of it?
He's a showjumper, doing C grade. so I'm wary of his legs.
Thanks, Kate

Where are you from? Melbourne, Vic, Australia

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Re: Tying up and string halt

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the compliment!

“Tying Up” is a condition where horses become reluctant to move. It can be due to excessive exercise where the horse become exhausted, not enough oxygen to the cells (as in the case of a respiratory infection), lack of vitamin E and selenium, depletion of electrolytes, and a variety of other causes.

Stringhalt is a type of lameness that causes a horse to lift his hind legs higher and faster than usual when he is moving. One leg can be affected, or both, and sometimes the horse can actually kick so high, he kicks himself in the belly. It is generally caused by ingestion of various weeds during drought conditions. These weeds include flatweed cat’s ear, dandelion, and marshmallow and horses generally recover when taken away from pastures containing these weeds. However, there is some interest lately in the possibility of Equine Protozoal Myelitis (EPM) being the cause of this condition. So, a careful diagnosis is important.

Pasture management is the best treatment, along with a well balanced, nutritious diet, including overall vitamin/mineral supplementation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty