Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Under weight yearlings

Hi my husband and I have recently purchased two yearings which have been neglected. Bella is roughly about 7 months old and Lakota 2years. They are both skinny but Bella is the worst. What do you recommend that I feed them. I am concerned with Bellas grown and she doesn't look very well at all. The vet was around yesterday because she was colic and needed to be wormed. She is alot better today but I am still concern as it is heading into our winter and she has nothing on her to keep her warm. They have access to stables and at the moment I am feeding huge amounts of oaten hay.
look forward to hearing from you

Where are you from? Western Australia

How did you locate this forum? yahoo

Re: Under weight yearlings

Hi Julie,

Thank you for taking care of these two yearlings – they are lucky to have to you!

You’re making a good start – feed them hay – as much as they want. Then, add a legume hay to the oaten hay. Lucerne (alfalfa) is your best choice. If you are unable to access Lucerne hay, you can likely purchase it bagged. Do you have access to Dengie Feeds in Australia?

I would also recommend feeding them a complete ration that is low is starch and not sweetened. Let me know what feeds are available in your area and I’ll give you my impression of which one to choose. You’ll want a feed that is high in fat, high in protein, high in fiber, and low in starch and sugar.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr Getty

Yes I can get bagged lucerne. What I have also feed them at night is 1 big scoop of chaff, 1 small scoop of pollard, half cup of apple cider, garlic, a few sunflower seeds, herbal supa vitamins (made for horses), slices of carrots and a tiny pinch of sulphur. Is this too much for them. With the lucerne who much do I feed. I don't have access to Deny here.
Thank you also for your speedy reply it is appreciated and what a great site especially for me as we live in the country and this is wonderful.
Cheers Julie

Where are you from? Western Australia

How did you locate this forum? yahoo

Hi Julie,

Your diet sounds fine – the Lucerne will balance things out. Pollard is high in phosphorus, so adding alfalfa is particularly important in order to add calcium, as well as high quality protein.

The only thing is – you don’t want to make the meal too large. A scoop can vary in weight, so if you can weigh your feed, it would be best. You want a meal to be limited to no more than 1.4 kg. So, add enough alfalfa to bring the meal up that level. Then, a little later, between meals, you can offer some additional alfalfa to bring their total alfalfa ration up to approximately 2.5 to 3 kg per day.

To provide additional fat, you might try feeding a stabilized rice bran product. I believe Equi-Jewel is available in Australia. Or you can feed copra meal.

This is a guideline, so see how things progress and let me know.

I’m pleased to help!

Dr. Getty